Started playing with some fiber optics to see what it provides, and how we might be able to use it in TAMI.
Best resource to learn and go shopping is https://www.fs.com
- Single mode vs. multimode fiber - https://community.fs.com/blog/single-mode-cabling-cost-vs-multimode-cabling-cost.html
- 10m (33ft) LC UPC to LC UPC Duplex 2.0mm PVC (OFNR) 9/125 Single Mode Fiber Patch Cable - https://www.fs.com/products/40203.html
- Generic Compatible 1000BASE-LX/LH SFP 1310nm 20km DOM Transceiver Module# - https://www.fs.com/products/75327.html
- Mini 1x 10/100/1000Base-T RJ45 to 1x 1000Base-X SFP Slot Gigabit Ethernet Media Converter, AC 100V~240V - https://www.fs.com/products/35333.html
Converters are configured with DIP switches all in OFF position (LFP (link failure propagation) disabled, store-and-forward switching, 1Gig FX)
Connecting two laptops directly with static IPs work, 1Gig network is achieved successfully.
Connecting laptop to home network gives an unreliable link that drops very quickly.
- Too strong of a signal on the fiber link, 20km transcievers on 10m fiber with no attenuation
The original transcievers were faulty. A new batch gives proper results!